Brains & Beauty Brains & Beauty Home About Me TPT Beauty Teaching Pinterest Facebook Instagram TPT Store Contact Me Image Map

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Classifying Shapes Yo

We are in the thick of our Geometry Unit and I am so excited to share this activity with y'all! 

We use Go Math as a curriculum and YUCK!  I mean, I love it! *hint of sarcasm* 

We are working on classifying 2-D shapes so I took an idea from the textbook and made it engaging and hands on! Why do an activity on a piece of paper when they can hold the shapes in their hand and place them in a giant Venn Diagram?! DUH! My kids and I prefer hands on.

We started by creating this anchor chart that I found on Pinterest. This really made sorting figures so much easier. 


Then I busted out my giant Venn Diagram and we talk about what shapes go where. We started with Rectangles & Rhombuses because that solidified our talk about Parallelograms. 





EVERY SINGLE KID WAS ENGAGED AND PARTICIPATING! This activity came almost straight from the book, and I guarantee it wouldn't have gone as well on paper. 


We changed out the categories and sorted more figures based on different attributes. We also did a triple diagram not shown as an extension.


After sorting, we played Quadrilateral Parking Lot from Blair Turner's Quadrilateral Card Game Pack. I swear, I use the quadrilateral cards for everything. They rocked this game after classifying shapes. I was pleasantly surprised. 


I walked out of my classroom yesterday feeling more accomplished than I've ever felt in one day! I'm talking, driving home so tired I thought my eyes were gonna pop out. 

Click HERE to grab this entire activity FREE! If you love it, PLEASE LEAVE FEEDBACK! It is only free for a limited amount of time!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the activity! We're not on geometry quite yet, but when we are we will be loving this!

    Rachel
    thirdgradecupcakes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It truly saved the lesson. ;) let me know how it goes!

      Delete