Brains & Beauty Brains & Beauty Home About Me TPT Beauty Teaching Pinterest Facebook Instagram TPT Store Contact Me Image Map

Monday, February 2, 2015

Whoa February & Unknown Numbers

It's February ya'll! February is one of my favorite months because it's my birthday month and it reminds me of childhood parties filled with lots of red and pink hearts! Growing up, mom would NEVER let me choose a theme. My birthday is a few days after Valentines Day and I somehow always had a heart party. Now I LOVE EVERYTHING VALENTINES DAY AND HEARTS!! Thanks mom!

Anyway, I started this blog to share the awesome things that I have going on in my classroom and this month is no exception. Currently, we are buckling down and getting ready for STAAR. However, I am so anti-worksheets/anything to do with the curriculum textbook. Hence where most of my products are born. 

A few nights ago I was contemplating on how I am going to teach my baby 3rd graders unknown numbers in equations. When I was in 6th grade, we called this ALGEBRA! How in the world did this end up in 3rd grade? Does the state of Texas realize these kids are 8?! Not to mention, most of them still play with dolls and legos. Anyone with me here?

So I came up with a wonderful idea and Round Up The Unknown # was born! We started with the activity! I teach two groups of kids and I taught and used the activity two different ways because of their levels. 

Here are a few kids doing the activity. They used what they know about multiplication and division to come up with the unknown numbers. They wrote all related multiplication and division facts on their white boards. They love doing anything with markers and white boards. WIN WIN!









After we did the activity, we worked in pairs on the task cards! The first set is simple division and multiplication equations. The second set is a bit more difficult but they got the hang of it pretty quick in small group. 


Several of my students are still struggling with multiplication facts so they learned to make multiplication towers and this made the entire activity a BREEZE!

It makes my teacher heart so happy when I hear kids saying "YES! I had it right!" when they get the answer right. Kids that usually don't feel much success in the classroom. I am doing something right. I am completely in love with the way I've adapted my teaching for these kids!

You can find this activity and many others in my TPT store! Go now, I am having a 50% sale! 

Stay tuned for more math fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment